Four of the top ten stolen list were pickup trucks. They are handy. I have used them from a couple hauling a couple of bales of hay to helping countless friends move. It’s not a surprise that thieves like them too.
Let’s start with prevention first.
To prevent your car from being stolen:
- Always lock your car when you’re not using it.
- Consider using a steering wheel lock or immobilizer.
- Install a car alarm system.
- Use a hidden kill switch to disrupt the car’s starting.
- Consider a GPS tracking system.
- Park in well-lit and busy areas.
- Avoid leaving valuables in the car.
- Don’t keep spare keys in the car.
- Use signal-blocking pouches for keyless entry fobs.
- Use window tint to make it harder for thieves to see inside.
The reason that we are talking about this is from 2019 to 2022 the vehicle theft rate increased by 31% in Washington State. This can increase insurance rates.
Top Stolen Cars in Washington
Recently the National Insurance Crime Bureau released the list of Washington State’s most stolen vehicles list:
|1.||Ford Pick up (Full Size)||1999||4,121|
|4.||Chevrolet Pick up (Full Size)||2004||1,575|
|6.||Ford Pick up (Small Size)||1997||858|
|9.||Dodge Pickup (Full Size)||2001||744|
In addition to the Hyundai Elantra, the national list had the Hyundai Sonata and Kia Optima which has been a social media phenomenon when it has come to thefts.
If your vehicle is stolen then:
Report to the police immediately. When reported as stolen in the first 24 hours, passenger vehicles has a 34% same-day recovery rate in 2022.
Report it to the insurance company. They will probably ask for the police report number. If you have comprehensive coverage then you have coverage that covers theft.
While liability is required in the state comprehensive coverage is not however it is one of the good to have coverages that you want to talk with your insurance agent about.
Topics: Truck Insurance, Car Insurance, Auto Insurance, Wenatchee Insurance, Comprehensive, stolen car, Independent Insurance Agency, Hyundai, Kia, Ford,